If you have recently bought a Dell laptop (like me), you may have noticed that browsing to http://msn.com will result in a redirection to http://dell.msn.com. The fact that it's redirecting isn't such a big issue for me personally, however I do not like the fact that there is no transparent way of disabling this.
After diving into some Internet Explorer log files, I discovered that some custom branding was applied when first running the browser.
In C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\brndlog.txt something like this will be present:
The file "install.ins" is executed when Internet Explorer is ran for the first time or when all IE settings are reset (Extra -> Options -> Advanced -> Reset Internet Explorer Settings). Ok now it's time to fix this:
- click Windows 7 Orb (former "Start"-button)
- in the search field, type (do not hit enter): notepad
- right click notepad and choose "Run as Administrator"
- click "File" and than "Open"
- browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\Signup\install.ins (64 bit) or C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Signup\install.ins (32 bit)
- remove the following piece of code:Code
- User Agent=
- save the file and open Internet Explorer
- now reset Internet Explorer by following these steps: Extra -> Options -> Advanced -> Reset Internet Explorer Settings
- restart internet explorer and you should be all set and ready to go!
That concludes my first blog post here, more to follow soon!