hamrickm's post

• I've downloaded AA 2.8.3 but the program won't run. I've reinstalled and repaired the installation. AA's forums all suggest using AAUP however, AAUP won't load. Every time (23+) that I've attempted to run the program from the download (redownloaded 3x), windows XP SP2 can't run it. Below are the logs/details that I've been able to pull but still don't understand the problem. I've cleared the firewall, antivirus, and all other security utilities. What I get specifically is a Microsoft Crash notification:

America's Army Utility Package

America's Army Utilitiy Package has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem. etc.

Error signature

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : aalogreader.exe P2 : 0.5.4.0 P3 : 47f0c8cf
    P4 : aalogreader P5 : 0.5.4.0 P6 : 47f0c8cf P7 : 1f P8 : c6
    P9 : system.invalidoperationexception

Reporting details

(yada, yada, yada)

AAUP

Cannot Start Application

Cannot continue. The application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assistance.

Details

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime : 2.0.50727.1433

System.Deployment.dll : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

mscorwks.dll : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

dfdll.dll : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

dfshim.dll : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

SOURCES

Deployment url : http://k2-solutions.eu/America…y/AALogReader.application

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of http://k2-solutions.eu/America…y/AALogReader.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ Exception reading manifest from http://k2-solutions.eu/America…/AALogReader.application: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.

+ '*' is an unexpected token. The expected token is '<!--' or '<[CDATA['. Line 7, position 3.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

* [5/31/2008 12:14:06 PM] : Activation of http://k2-solutions.eu/America…y/AALogReader.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [5/31/2008 12:14:32 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)

- Exception reading manifest from http://k2-solutions.eu/America…/AALogReader.application: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.

- Source: System.Deployment

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

--- Inner Exception ---

System.Xml.XmlException

- '*' is an unexpected token. The expected token is '<!--' or '<[CDATA['. Line 7, position 3.

- Source: System.Xml

- Stack trace:

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(Int32 pos, String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()

at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestValidatingReader.XmlFilteredReader.Read()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Skip()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Skip()

at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestValidatingReader.XmlFilteredReader.Read()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Skip()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Skip()

at System.Xml.XmlCharCheckingReader.Read()

at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()

at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS

No transaction information is available.

My registry has been cleaned and compacted. All drivers are up to date. Plenty of HD space available. My laptop's video card may/may not be compatible. It's an SiS M760 which isn't on the "Non-Supported" List.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas or should I give up trying to play anymore on my laptop? I travel a lot and this game is the best way to kill time in a hotel room.

• I've tried it through every link that I've found. I completely uninstalled AA including leftover files, folders, and registry items. Now when I try to install AAUP, it starts to install and then returns to the same crash notifications as posted. I'm running .NET 3.5 and Windows installer 3.1 (re-downloaded and re-installed both just in case). I don't see any Windows problems. The only potential problem I see is that my Video card (SiS M760) may not be compatible with the game although it isn't listed either of the support forums.

• Here what I just got when I re-downloaded the setup file just now.

The following properties have been set:
    Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
    Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
    Property: [VersionNT] = 5.1.2 {version}
    Running checks for package '.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)', phase BuildList
    Running external check with command 'C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD4E9.tmp\DotNetFX\dotnetchk.exe' and parameters ''
    Process exited with code 1
    Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNetInstalled'
    Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer'
    Read string value '6.0.2900.2180'
    Setting value '6.0.2900.2180 {string}' for property 'IEVersion'
    The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)':
    Property: [DotNetInstalled] = 1 {int}
    Property: [IEVersion] = 6.0.2900.2180 {string}
    Running checks for command 'DotNetFX\instmsia.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'VersionNT': true
    Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX\instmsia.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'DotNetFX\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'Version9x': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.0.3': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.0': true
    Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'DotNetFX\dotnetfx.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': true
    Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX\dotnetfx.exe' is 'Bypass'
    '.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Windows Installer 3.1', phase BuildList
    The following properties have been set for package 'Windows Installer 3.1':
    Running checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.1': true
    Result of checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
    'Windows Installer 3.1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Launching Application.
    URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697211'
    Error: An error occurred trying to download 'http://k2-solutions.eu/AmericasArmyUtility/AALogReader.application'.